Saturday, February 23, 2013

What I'm Talking About

As I work hard this weekend on an assignment for my New Testament class -- an exegesis on 1 Corinthians 11:17-34 -- I'm reminded of a poem I wrote long ago. Picture yourself at the Last Supper ...


When you eat, eat like this.
Never mind the meal; all food nourishes.
When you drink, drink like this.
Never mind the wine; I prefer it,
But don’t drink wine if you don’t like it.
That’s not what I’m talking about.

Sometimes it’s like I’m talking to a child:
Tiny vocabulary, barely comprehending
The slightest thing I say.
It’s like I’m talking to a hyperactive child:
No attention span, much aggressive energy
To pour into his play.
And play is important,

But I need this moment to show you
What I am talking about.
 
When you eat, eat like this.
No, never mind the position of your hands
Or the choice to genuflect
Or cross yourself –
Work that out on your own. Rather,
 
When you eat and drink,
Eat and drink together.
That’s what I’m talking about.

(4/12/2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment