Tuesday, November 22, 2011

the emerging: suites for advent


Henry Ossawa Tanner, The Annunciation
Thanksgiving is upon us. I’m looking forward to the break, although I’ll certainly have my share of reading and writing to do for school during this time.

And then, on Sunday … Advent begins! I’m one of those who prefers to mark this season with dark blue instead of purple, but blue Advent candles are not easy to find, especially tapers. Any leads around Alexandria?

Many people treat Advent as a penitential season, and this isn’t wrong. But it’s not Lent, either. Instead of focusing on our sins, we’re anticipating the birth of someone who is eternally arriving.

I first compiled these Advent musical suites in 2007 and have revised them from year to year. They are mixed into suites by theme, based on the Church’s ancient tradition of  “O” Antiphons. Right-click the blue header to download the mp3 of that suite. And please: if you like something you discover here, go buy it! 

R.E.M. - It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine)
Crazy World of Arthur Brown – Fire
George Michael - Praying for Time
Mary Poppins - Stay Awake/ Sufjan Stevens - Year of the Sheep
Peter Hallock - Let My Prayer Come Up as the Incense
 
Godspell - Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord
Sufjan Stevens - O Come, O Come Emmanuel (1)
Peter Hallock - O Sapientia
Sixpence None the Richer - Sister, Mother
Martina McBride - Love's the Only House
Sting - Love Is the Seventh Wave

Peter Hallock - O Adonai
Sixpence None the Richer - Anything/The Waiting Room
Hooters - All You Zombies
Coldplay – Us Against the World
Sufjan Stevens - O Come, O Come Emmanuel (2)

Peter Hallock - O Radix Jesse
Toad the Wet Sprocket - Pray Your Gods
Aimee Mann - Save Me
U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Herbert Howells - A Spotless Rose
Seal - Love's Divine

Peter Hallock - O Clavis David
Mr. Mister – Kyrie
Sufjan Stevens – Chicago
Bad Religion – Sorrow
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Peter Hallock - O Oriens
The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun
Sixpence None the Richer - Waiting on the Sun
The Polyphonic Spree - Light and Day
Sufjan Stevens - O Come, O Come Emmanuel (3)

Peter Hallock - O Rex Gentium
J.L. Hosler - You Heavens Above
Simon & Garfunkel - Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream
John Mayer - Waiting on the World to Change
John Denver & Robin - When the River Meets the Sea
Goo Goo Dolls - Better Days

Peter Hallock - O Emmanuel
Joan Osborne - One of Us
Isaac Everett - Expectation

Sting - Gabriel's Message
Conductus - Ave Virgo Virginum
Franz Biebl - Ave Maria
J.S. Bach - Magnificat in D, BWV 243, I: Magnificat
St. Mark's Cathedral Choir - O Come, O Come Emmanuel
Isaac Everett – Incarnation

4 comments:

  1. Try these guys for dark blue tapers. They have a full-on store in Arlington, and apparently sell in finer Mall stores:

    http://www.yankeecandle.com/yankee-candles/tapers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Robert! I will definitely check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh: It's a shame that there's nobody out there that might be willing to ship out blue taper candles to you, via priority mail. It's also too bad that there's no convenient link to an independently-owned online... what should I call it... Episcopal Bookstore... that might be able to help you out. ;) http://episcopalbookstore.com/product.aspx?productid=6311

    ReplyDelete
  4. There may be, Daniel; I just can't afford much of anything right now, let alone shipping charges! I did find some blue candles today at Pier One -- not quite the shade I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers. And I'm sure that somewhere in my neighborhood is exactly the right store, with a huge selection of tapers. I just haven't found it yet.

    ReplyDelete