Thursday, December 8, 2016

Advent, Day 12: O Come, O Come Emmanuel

Be still before the Lord
and wait patiently for him.

Do not fret yourself over the one who prospers,
the one who succeeds in evil schemes.

Refrain from anger, leave rage alone;
do not fret yourself; it leads only to evil.

For evildoers shall be cut off,
but those who wait upon the Lord shall possess the land.

In a little while the wicked shall be no more;
you shall search out their place, but they will not be there.

But the lowly shall possess the land;
they will delight in abundance of peace.


- Psalm 37:7-12

I've been calling my senators quite a bit over the past few weeks to suggest that perhaps it's not a good thing that a man who has bragged about enabling and empowering white supremacists is the president-elect's chief strategist. I've suggested that they organize with senators from both parties and refuse to confirm any of the next president's cabinet until he fires Steve Bannon from his staff. I don't see this as a partisan issue, but an issue of basic human decency.

This is work we can all be doing, and it's important work. But it's also Advent, and I have to remind myself every day that we can't all do everything.

Today I'm going to make time simply to sit quietly. I won't dwell on things I've done or haven't done. I'm going to "be still before the Lord and wait patiently."


No comments:

Post a Comment